(800) 348-7487

Charter a Bus

Traveling Across Borders with Cardinal Charter Buses

When traveling to Canada on a charter bus, there are a few things to remember. First, it is important to make checklist of things to bring and do before a trip over any U.S border. The WHTI [Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative] establishes document requirements for travel by land or sea into the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

Since this initiative affects the way United States citizens travel, having your passport is a must. The WHTI Land and Sea act went into effect June, 1 2009 and only WHTI- complaint documents are acceptable for entering the US.  For those of you wondering why this act was put in place; it is to strengthen border security while facilitating entry into the United States. The act is to better support U.S. citizens and legitimate international travelers, making the process more efficient and convenient.

There are a few types of documents that are accepted when traveling through a border in or out of the U.S. Citizens that are under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) can use a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

US citizens can use a few different forms that will help them cross a border. A valid U.S. Passport;  Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.

There are also a few ways to get the right forms to cross a border. Enhanced drivers licenses are acceptable for entry into the U.S. This is at any land or sea port of entry – not just at ports of entry in the issuing states. Michigan, New York, Vermont, and Washington are states that will produce an Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) that fulfills WHTI requirements. To get a passport, visit the state departments travel website or you can obtain a passport through the U.S postal system where they have 9000 locations nationwide. Your can also get a passport card; which is a limited-use international travel card-format passport. You can also visit the state departments travel website to obtain this card as well as a regular passport.

Just remember that if you are traveling to Canada in the near future, to bring the proper U.S. Citizenship documentation for each person on board the bus.  Cardinal Charter Buses knows the importance of making travel fun, easy, and worry free and making your trip as seamless and safe as possible is among our top priorities.  Contact us today for your next Canadian adventure.

Please note:  Cardinal Buses does not cross borders into Mexico – only Canada.

Cardinal Buses Canadian Border Crossing